Serves: Plenty to share-If you want
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 Large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted slightly
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small sauce pan combine 3 oz berries with 3 oz of water and 3 tbs of sugar. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Mash with a potato masher or fork until berries are broken down and mixture has thickened. Set aside.
Make the topping:
- Whisk the 1 cup flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt, and almonds in a medium bowl.
- Using your fingers, work in the 1/2 cup butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs ranging in size from small peas to marbles.
Make the cake:
- Butter and flour a tube pan with a removable bottom. Place pan on a baking sheet.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl.
- Put butter, sugar, and zest into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce speed to medium.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Mix in vanilla. Reduce speed to low.
- Mix in half the reserved flour mixture, followed by the sour cream.
- Add remaining flour mixture; beat until just combined.
- Spoon half the batter into prepared pan.
- Mound berry mixture in a ring in center of batter. Top with remaining batter.
- Using a small offset spatula, smooth top.
- Sprinkle with the topping.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 65 to 70 minutes.
- Let cool slightly on a wire rack, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Run a knife around edges of pan to loosen. Pull up on tube to lift cake from pan.
- Let cool on rack 15 minutes. Invert cake onto a baking sheet, removing tube portion, then re-invert onto rack to cool completely.