This is a wonderful way to use the fresh corn coming in as a different side dish/bread/vegetable. When you get tired of corn on the cob (imagine that EVER happening with the delicious corn we have at the market!!) you can scrape some off and try out this recipe…everyone seems to love it! You can purchase the corn, eggs, milk, butter, flour, cornmeal, peppers and cheese at the Main Street Farmers Market!
Source: Southern Living 2008 with a touch or two from me! (Entered by Debra Chester)
Serves: About 3 dozen.
- 5 cobs 21/2 C corn on the cob…fresh
- 3 large eggs eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 3/4 cup allpurpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 8 onces mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Step by Step Instructions
- Pulse first 4 ingredients in a food processor 3 to 4 times or just until corn is coarsely chopped.
- Stir together flour and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in corn mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon 1/8 cup batter for each cake onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or large nonstick skillet to form 2 inch cakes (do not spread or flatten cakes). Cook cakes 3-4 minutes or until tops bubble and edges look cooked. Turn and cook other sides 2-3 minutes.